Is honesty always the best policy ?



Recently I was telling a friend something I considered to be news when she stopped me, saying I know. I read it on your blog. That's when it hit me how incredibly honest I've been on it, I'd started to forget people actually read what I've been posting and instead I've just been writing whatever's in my head.

This act of blogging whatever I feel like writing is both liberating and at the same time risky. Once I've put it out there into the World Wide Web then it's not going around my head driving me crazy and that can only be a good thing, right ? But then the other side of the coin is that being honest doesn't really serve to paint the most flattering portrait of myself. Here , I emerge as someone who is insecure and somewhat judgemental. Having given it some thought I am willing to own that because when it comes down to it, people are going to judge you anyway so why not be yourself. After all everyone else is taken.

I think people frequently misrepresent themselves online. I know I've touched on this issue before but I think it's relevant here. They go through great lengths to make themselves seem happier and more together than they are in reality and that would be fine except most of us are suckers. We don't look beneath the veneer of white lies to see what's really going on and instead we torture ourselves With the idea that all these people we know are doing better than us. They are happier, sometimes thinner and mostly just have their lives together. And this only serves to perpetuate this overwhelming sense of inadequacy most of us are crippled by.

Well you can call it brave or you can call it stupid but I refuse to play ball. I am here shattering that illusion. I don't have it all together so I'm not going to lie and say I do just to paint myself as someone you can freely envy. Sometimes honesty is the best policy and maybe if some more of us were willing to show some vulnerability then we'd be less likely to feel as though we're alone in not having our shit together. I'm saying its okay to not be all right all of the time.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..