The pursuit of happiness

It is said that money doesn't buy you happiness but its more comfortable to cry in the back of a rolls royce than a bicycle. Now at this point in my life I have cried on neither so I cannot vouch for the validity of that statement. I can tell you however that I choose to believe happiness is not to be bought largely because I'm pretty sure I couldn't afford it as a commodity and would be forced to do without.

My view on happiness is it can be found in tiny corners of life if only you are ready to look for it. It is lurking in the middle of a really good book, one so good it you finish it feeling strangely uplifted and it isn't until much later you realize that's what has made you feel so happy.

It's in a giant bowl of raspberries om nom nom nom. Mind you they are a little on the pricey side so perhaps its better to say happiness is in a giant bowl of raspberries that someone else has paid for. But they are so good I could eat them forever and best of all they are good for you. No one feels bad for eating too many raspberries.

It's in finishing a really tough workout, first there's the relief. Oh thank god I survived that and then the endorphin's kick in and it's like a big bowl of happy. I think that's what keeps me going back for more every time crossfit kicks my ass.

It's getting a card in the post from a friend you haven't heard from in a while and just getting anything in the post that isn't a demand for money makes such a nice change. It reminds me of when I lived in Switzerland and people would send me letters and packages. Who doesn't love getting a package in the post. It brings back that child like joy of getting presents.

It's a sunny day in Ireland, at the moment we are lucky to get even one but it makes such a change from the usual dreary weather that you feel lighter and smile more and usually just have a better day. I'm trying to get outside in it more and just sitting quietly to get a little bit of happy to move me through my day.

It's in realizing I can dead-lift and my form isn't completely terrible. I find mastering a new skill, especially in cross-fit, really leaves me feeling buzzed. There's one part of my brain that's trying to remember where my legs should be and checking my back is straight but there's another part that's shouting check this shit out, I'm dead-lifting here and look how good my arms look. Hey everybody come see how good  I look. fortunately I know the difference between thoughts in my head and things to say to other people so I don't come across as entirely mad.

So I'm on a pursuit for happiness and I'll take it where at find it especially when it's free. I'm taking time to dance around my kitchen while I get dinner (hey I live alone so no one has to witness this) and getting super excited about my brand new chin up bar which has only just been set up today. Yay !! I'll be doing a chin up every time I go to and from my room so not only will I get super fit but they never fail to make me feel better so I'll be permanently buzzed. I'll be taking time out to play with my nieces and learning to bake yummy things that my stomach can handle (but not too yummy or I'll just eat them
all) and just generally making more of what I have rather griping about what I don't have and If I forget
that I'm supposed to be on happy buzz well then I can always do a chin up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..