What the hell are they doing to our food ??

Clearly I have a problem in that I find food scares more than a little interesting. I can't help it. I've been cleaning up my diet and tackling my IBS headfirst so I can't help being fascinated by what's going into our food. I think the overall view is that if it has a nutrition label then chances are it's not all that good for you in varying degrees but If you're sticking to  
fresh meat and vegetable you're still not guaranteed safety.

So let's say you're not a in position to grow your own organic veg and slaughter your own chickens/cows etc. And let's face it, most of us aren't well then you have to brave the world and always be cautious of not buying a trolley full of chemicals, hidden in many delicious guises. The Monsanto group have been in the press a lot lately because they been advocating that genetically modified fruit and veg are just as nutritious as the non modified variety and have been happily peddling their wares to the naive shoppers. There has been uproar because much of this modified produce is shown to be nutritionally lacking if not down right dangerous to our health.

I am lucky that all my terrible diet restrictions have forced me to prepare almost everything I eat from scratch so I am less likely to be playing lottery with my diet but the more I read, the more wary I become. In books like salt,sugar, fat and fat chance there were many interesting but scary insights into how the food industry is luring us in and hooking us with the deadly combination of salt, sugar and fat plus many contain doses of msg, aspartame and chemicals that are yet to be identified. Now after spending most of my life thus far subsisting largely on this sort of junk food I can fully confirm that eating large doses of preservatives does nothing to slow down the aging process so if you've been telling yourself this then maybe now is the time to stop lying.

I was only talking to someone the other day about how KFC which used to go by Kentucky fried chicken, were forced to shorten their name because legally they are no longer allowed to have chicken in the title. The reason for this is that the creatures they use to make their chicken products are genetically modified chickens without beaks or faces which is a horrific concept when you think about it. Then again I don't think I've ever had more than chips or icecream out of KFC during my fat days and even back then I could readily admit the food was rank. I did however pig out in McDonalds for many years so I can't exactly act too high and mighty about all this. Even reading Fast food nation a few years back did little to deter me.

With Horse meat showing up in Tesco's and God knows what demon monsters passing as chicken in fast food restaurants, now sure feels like a good time to be vegetarian. Not that I'm trying to advocate my lifestyle to the happy carnivore, merely stating that as a life long vegetarian I have a few less things to worry about and the added benefit of not missing the meat I never ate. If you care at all about your diet and overall well being it is a really good time to clean your diet up, even if it's just a little bit. Not everyone is willing or able to go the whole hog on it. I've recently allowed small amounts of sugar back in and I wont pretend it's easy.

It's just nice when someone shares one of those articles about all the horrifying things in x foods and you can think, phew I don't actually eat those anymore 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..