Laura ! can you try to concentrate, please !!

I am a self professed day dreamer and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I have terrible concentration but not in an ADD sort of way. I just have a tendency to space off even when I'm doing something important and get totally lost in my own thoughts.

This morning I was writing morning pages for the artists way (morning pages are two A4 pages where you write anything that comes into your head until the pages are full) and I kept finding myself looking out the window at nothing in particular while idling over other things I needed to do and then realizing once again I've lost five minutes.

When I was in primary school I remember constantly being scolded for this kind of behavior and my report cards would always read that I was a good student, talkative and bright but with a tendency to daydream too much. I spent much of secondary school looking out the window wishing I was anywhere else and unfortunately I don't seem to have grown out of it.

So I think it's with me for life. I'm fairly certain if I haven't grown out of something by my thirties I'm pretty much stuck with it. I even found myself spacing off just there while writing this post which is sort of ironic really. I don't think it's really my fault. My life isn't terribly exciting and to be fair the stuff that goes on in my head is far more interesting. Is it any wonder I get lost in my fantasy (not in a 50 shades of grey sort of way) life. 
It wouldn't really matter if I wasn't almost always in a rush to go somewhere or to get x amount of things done before work (even when x amount of things is just washing , clothing and feeding myself before work) I'd could happily while away an hour or maybe two daydreaming about the sort of life I could have if I'd only get off my ass and do something about it.

I've even been told off for it at work while standing guard at the till or half twirling in the customer service desk chair. Sometimes there's nothing to do while you wait there and honestly it gets a little boring so who can blame a girl if her mind wanders and she gets a blank spaced out look on her face, well apparently my manager can. That's who.

I've even had to explain to people on more than one occasion that I'm actually not staring at them. I just spaced out while facing them (apart from the one or two times I kind of was staring but they looked kind of scary when I was confronted about it so I played dumb), looking to some point in the middle distance, until some one wakes me up from this daydream and I just go back to life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..