No pain, no Gain

So I was at the gym today trying to relieve the tightness in my shoulders by rolling on a hockey ball. My trainer told me to do it just in case you think this is some mad plan I cooked up all by myself. Anyway it was excruciatingly painful, that sort of pain that really seems like its your body telling you to stop what you're doing right now because it's not good but apparently that's what it's supposed to feel like. It seems to be a contradiction in terms that the best way to help tired muscles is to hurt them more but as they say no pain, no gain.

And as I lay there making noises like a cat that's gotten it's tail caught in the door I couldn't help but think that wouldn't it be nicer if the way to help tired muscles was to lie under a blanket eating chocolate and sipping tea. Even as the thought formed I was all too aware that had I spent less of my twenties doing just that then perhaps I wouldn't have to put in quite so much work now to get in shape.

But here's the thing, If you're buckled after a grueling work out at the gym or just the muscle pains that sometimes linger days after the last thing you want to do is get on a foam roller, a truly uncomfortable experience or roll a hockey ball beneath you ( 10 minutes of that had me thinking my foam roller could probably be used a pillow because it was comparatively comfy) or even do a whole series of stretches that range from oh that feels tight to oh sweet jesus make the pain stop on a scale of discomfort. And I suppose you could do none of those things and just allow the aches and pains to heal themselves with rest and protein. The problem is sometimes I want to train the following day or maybe just be capable of dressing myself for the days that follow and not be making old lady noises because I'm trying but failing to get out of a chair (you that Billy Connolly thing where he says you know you've gotten older when you can't get out of an arm chair without making a lot sound effects ) and it seems that all this mobility work is a necessary evil.
Oh did I say evil, I meant great. yay mobility.

Well I might be the first to give out about how much it hurts because lets face it, I'm a wuss and probably have the lowest pain threshold going but it does work and if you don't believe me then you should see me being able to work out a few days back to back when 6 months ago I'd be having difficulty with stairs if I tried to train this hard. 
This week I'm setting a new record trying for 6 classes in three days ( I'm half way so we'll see how I go) but It will be over a week after tomorrow before I get back to the gym and I need something to tide me over. If I survive this I imagine myself and my foam roller will be getting pretty friendly, either that or someone is going to have to roll me down the hill to work. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..