Food is a drug

I think this quote holds true. Food is one of the biggest things people use to deal with anxiety and it's fast becoming a really big problem. I think it starts when were small and given a treat for good behavior or a biscuit because you fell and hurt your knee. It sends the message that food is a reward, food is a comfort blanket and when you reach the point in your life when you no longer need to ask for permission on opening the biscuit tin you will find those things stay with you.

I don't think people really think about what were eating and the effect our diet may be having on our bodies. Its almost as if as a nation we're in collective denial. I am equally lucky and unlucky that my body seems to act like my conscience when it comes to food whether I want it to or not. On the one hand I have to not over do the sugar or junk food because I will get physically sick from it but then on the other had I not spent so many years abusing my body by willfully eating all anxieties as though they were delicious belgian chocolate buttons then I wouldn't be in this predicament to begin with.

I'm aware that giving up what's bad for you isn't easy because I know I struggled and for a long time felt that I was denying myself the things I really wanted to be eating. Thanks to my wheat intolerance it wasn't down to will power alone (or I'd have been rightly screwed). Nowadays I rarely crave the really bad stuff, the takeaways and processed foods, the bags of jellies and Haagen daas icecream (nom) so it makes saying no a whole lot easier but I cut them out gradually and for every bad thing I couldn't have I tried to find something healthier I could eat instead to avoid whittling my diet down so much that I was only left with raw carrot to nibble on. It's also a personal choice, when McDonalds was my hangover meal of choice (two large fries and large coke ) and I practically mainlined coke while also eating enough wheat based products to support a small family, I had no interest in hearing how unhealthy my lifestyle was. Yes, I was fat and miserable with it but I didn't actually want to do anything about it so all of the well meant advice only served to make me more unhappy and you know what I do when I'm unhappy, I eat. I'm working on hiding my abject horror when someone launches into a large meal from McDonalds or talks about picking up dinner in Iceland (if it's 40 cocktail sausages for €2 I dread to think how they cut their costs) because no one appreciates your input when it comes to their diet unless they specifically ask.

I'm just going to try and focus on my own diet. My restraint could certainly use some work even If I occasionally cheer myself up my reminding myself that I've come along way from chip sandwiches on white bread washed down with a can of coke. Yikes, It's lucky I got the chance to change because I was heading for type two diabetes at that rate. Food is a potent anti anxiety drug but I am determined that it wont be mine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..