bad vegetarian

I read a thing online the other day saying that cucumber is a vegetable that many vegetarians don't eat because of all the vegetables it has a nervous system most like that of a human and can feel pain. Isn't that kind of insane ! Now this was the first I had heard of this and I've been vegetarian all my life but I also don't know of any vegetarians who don't eat them for that reason. That being said I still had cucumber in my salad today because I quite like how it tastes and frankly the thought of not eating cucumber for moral reasons seems somewhat laughable.

I didn't choose to be vegetarian so I never consciously decided meat was not for me but my parents decided they wanted to bring us up on a vegetarian diet and for the most part we all stuck to it. I still eat eggs and butter so it's not like I'm doing any of this for moral reasons nor do I feel the need to force my lifestyle choices down the throats of others. I think I'll leave that to the vegans, like the old joke goes 'how do you know when someone's vegan? don't worry they'll fucking tell you'. I know it's not for everyone and I know it's a lot harder when you decide to deprive yourself of foods you really want to be eating, I still find that as I struggle to eat less sugar but the thing is for me it would actually be more of an effort to eat meat than it is to not eat it.

I do feel a little queasy passing a butchers or if I hear something about how meat products are made. and Oh god the smell that used to come from the slaughterhouse that was up the road from my secondary school, I don't know how it didn't make everyone vegetarian. I used to eat cocktail sausages from time to time. Only I would like the worst meat you could possibly eat or perhaps I liked them because they contained so little actual meat, who knows. I didn't give them up because of that or the grease and the fat, although I probably should have but instead I realized they contained wheat which I can't eat and I went back to my vegetarian ways with my reputation still intact.

I have tried tiny bits of other meats over the years but never felt the urge to have more than the tiny bite I can manage to stomach except for that one time a good few years back I drunkenly decided I wanted a chicken burger in mcdonalds and was sick for a week afterwards. I considered my lesson learned and went back to being a vegetarian eating a limited range of vegetables. What's worse than a vegetarian? a picky vegetarian who can't eat wheat so its no wonder I am refusing to wave good bye to eating cucumbers, I'd have nothing left !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..