Professional underachiever at your service

So last night I was watching the advert my younger brother made for Aig. (See attached link and prepare for lols)  http://samandmikey.com/the-best-ad-ever/ and laughing and also thinking how cool it was that my brother is making actual ads that show on the t.v. like a modern day Don Draper only without the drinking problem or womanizing tendencies. He's fairly creative and also quite funny so it's pretty cool that the general public is now getting to see this.

The night before I got a call from my older sister who was on her way home from work. She's trained as a make up artist and has just recently started working crazy hours as she's gotten some work as a make up artist on the set of a t.v. show and she was just calling to tell me that Chris O'Dowd (comedian from the IT crowd and Bridesmaids) was on the set next to hers and he's pretty cute in person. So another talented and creative member of the family out there doing some pretty cool work. Jealous much? , yes, a little bit.

and my oldest sister (comparatively speaking) was letting me know that The forge (her gym) has finally become a crossfit affiliate and will now be Crossfit Tipperary @the forge which is a pretty big  deal for them and you can go a long way in the land of Cross-fit when you become official. In fact I don't think you're officially allowed to call it Crossfit until you get that stamp of approval. Obviously this is great and now just because this gym is where I train and spend a little too much of my free time on my days off but who doesn't like to see their sister doing well. And if you haven't sensed a theme here she's also super creative and extremely talented.

And then there's me. 31 and working in a bookshop. Forgive me for bragging. I have to deal daily with people who can't find the non fiction books despite all the signs posted all over the shop and creepy religious fanatics who want to show me rosary beads with tiny plastic fetuses inside and do an awful lot of tidying while my degree gathers dust in a folder at home.Hardly all that creative and it pales in comparison to the success of my siblings.  Much as I enjoyed college I have come to terms with the fact that the thought of a career in social care holds little to no appeal to me. Not only that but I actually realized I wouldn't really be suited to the work, I tend to take on other people's emotional baggage so I think I'd end up a complete basket case working in residential care. Right now all I have is the seed of a possible plan to maybe someday not too many years down the road become a primary teacher once I get over the weency obstacle of not really having any Irish and I guess that's better than no plan at all. The thing is in the shadow of those around me who are doing well (and yes they are my family so I'm pretty stoked that things are going good for them) I can't help but feel like the professional underachiever of the bunch. In all honesty I only added the professional bit to make it sound more deliberate and hide the fact that I'm accidentally faffing about with no real purpose. Is it too much to hope for a time when I'm no longer counting down the days until my next day off because I have a life I don't actually feel the need to escape from. I do occasionally cheer myself up by remembering that I don't work in a call center any more and oh god how I hated working in a call center so at least there's that. While it's better that doesn't mean it's good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..