Why can't I be more Like Audrey Hepburn?

If you've never seen Breakfast at Tiffanys then you might not be familiar with this scene where Audrey is woken and looks delightful with her hair in place and her eye mask gives her a more glamorous air. She's kind of my idol and she was everything I'm not. I don't think there's any danger of me being accused of being sophisticated any time soon. However I do own an eye-mask, in fact I have several, so that's something I have in common with a character she played. A tenuous link, to say the least.

I didn't always sleep with an eye-mask. It was a habit I adopted during my second year in college and it was not because I was channeling Ms Hepburn. I had just moved into a new apartment and my bedroom window faced out on to an outdoor walkway and some genius had kindly placed three lights right outside my window which meant I had enough light to read by even with my light off and my curtains closed. I actually thought I was going to crack up and then I found an old snoopy eye mask (from when I lived in Switzerland and H&M went through their snoopy phase, you couldn't get sleepwear that didn't have him plastered all over it) and it did the job nicely, thank you very much. Unfortunately despite the fact that I have moved six or seven times since then (considering how much I hate moving apartments I sure do it a lot) I can't seem to drop the habit of sleeping with a sleep mask. Even in college when I moved into a much darker room I still kept wearing it but I had to make sure my bedroom was locked before I went to sleep or else I got the creepy sensation like someone was coming into my room and I wasn't able to see them with the eye mask on (the joys of living with strangers). I have collected many over the last few years and I feel a little burst of panic when I can't find it.

When I wake in the mornings I'd love to say I push my sleep mask up and then yawn prettily as I greet the world. Looking respectable enough that I could happily answer my door first thing in the morning but I really don't want to lie to you. My morning routine is a bit more like this; I wake startled to the shrieking of my alarm and push my eye mask aside gingerly as I squint into the day light. As I stumble past the mirror on my way out of bed any  illusion that I bear even a passing resemblance to a sleepy Audrey Hepburn is soon shattered. I usually look as though I've been shocked awake, my eyes smudged with some runaway mascara and my eye-mask tangled in bed hair gone wild. 

All I'm asking for is to somehow be a little more composed. To not be the one leaving the gym all sweaty and covered in chalk. To not be the kind of girl who would get crumbs in her hair if she ate a croissant. Or have that tell tale chocolate around the corners of my mouth because I ate a tiny square. To not be the kind of girl who consistently spills food down her top and always says the wrong things in company. Really can I not just be a little bit more like Audrey Hepburn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..