Shouting back

I Came across this video recently online and it really got me thinking. It was made by the founder of the everyday sexism project http://youtu.be/PBeNfSoMqjY and it talks about the large numbers of women who have experienced sexual harassment regularly from an early age and encourages them to shout back by tweeting their experiences of everyday sexism. I think the thing that struck me most about the whole thing was how normalized sexual harassment has become in our society and how accepting we are of things that should quite frankly horrify us.

Many of the women whose stories featured in the video mentioned being in public places such as a bus stop and had a strange man masturbate while sitting near them and I was somewhat taken aback by how common an occurrence this seems to be but simultaneously relieved that I have never had the misfortune to experience this and I hope I never will. My own experiences of everyday sexism pale in comparison to accounts like that, so much so that I am almost ready to dismiss them as nothing but I think that says more about our attitudes to sexism in general when so many women agree to put and shut up just to keep the peace. I think when we sit back and say nothing it is as though we are giving our tacit approval for this situation to continue and honestly that just misrepresenting myself. I am never the one to sit quietly and keep my opinions to myself so why start now.

Since my teenage years I have been wolf-whistled at and had suggestive comments shouted at me in the street. On nights out I have had strange men think it's acceptable to maul me or on occasions even try to put their hands up my skirt ( while walking through a nightclub). I've had men discuss me as though I was an object or openly leer at my boobs. And Once When I worked in call center I had to listen to calls as part of my training but as it was quiet no calls were coming through so the guy I was listening just spent the time looking at pictures of women in low cut tops online and discussing with his friend whether or not he'd fuck them and while that may not sound like much it felt pretty demeaning at the time.

I think it's time we stopped accepting this. Every time we experience harassment and say nothing we are normalizing sexism and sending messages to the young women of today that it's not a big deal to be treated like an object so there's no point in complaining. Really we should be shouting back because it's not okay for strange men to touch you or leer at you regardless of how you're dressed and I think it goes without saying that masturbating beside a woman in public is never okay but something tells men who do that probably have bigger issues if they are displaying such levels of sexual deviancy. I for one am shouting back, are you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..