Sometimes It's kind of awesome being a woman, this is not one of those times.

So Picture this, on Friday I was home on my day off trying to work out if I felt like doing a second class because my stomach was all horrible and crampy when suddenly out of nowhere  
I started feeling very emotional. I tried to pull myself together but I couldn't seem to control the urge to cry so I decided I'd drive home and spend the night under a blanket having a pity party for one but after driving as far as Kilsheelan while driving and crying (so much so that I was too embarrassed to stop anywhere for petrol and my car was getting low) I had an abrupt change of heart and turned the car around and headed to the Forge to have some of the sad beaten out of me. I did eventually get back to Waterford a lot less teary but feeling rather blue and so crampy that I was convinced I'd have to stop baking with barley flour (which did nothing to improve my mood) but then I realized that my period had started and suddenly the madness of the day (the cramps and tears and irrational anger) made a lot more sense.

Now you'd think I'd have put all this together a little earlier but my period doesn't like to be consistent in it's arrival, it prefers the element of surprise and as surprises go, it sucks every damn time. These are the times when I hate being a woman but I'm not sure I'd want to be a man. Could I just be a eunuch for 7 days of the month because that would work for me. It would certainly beat being a walking hormone and that is how I feel right now. 
I am feeling like a big bowl of crap today, but don't worry hormonal Laura doesn't usually get angry, the worst thing that could happen is I might cry on you or eat all your cookies (muttering are these Paleo as I stuff them all into my mouth) and I'm trapped in a cycle of eating waaay too much sugar ( and to think I was worried about going back to eating sugar, how wrong was I) because I am all over the shop emotional and then the sugar just makes me feel more depressed which in turn makes me crave more. I can't see this ending well. 

Last night I ate so many cookies I actually felt too sick to eat a dinner ( I'm pretty certain I stopped enjoying them after cookie four) and then watched the season finale to smash which made me cry. Now it was an emotional ending but to be fair it wouldn't have taken much to make me cry last night. And I feel like I've had enough thanks. This is the part of being a woman that you won't find anyone bragging about. 

Every month we endure this and then we get a few weeks of normality before we go through it all again not to mention the irrational bursts of anger, the agonizing cramps, the migraines, the bloating and the fact that wearing a sanitary towel makes you feel like you're wearing a nappy (rarrrr sexy ) So I'm thinking fuck this for a game of soldiers. The only benefit of periods is that they let you know you're not pregnant which is great and all but I could just as easily get a text every month confirming the very same thing without all the delightful side effects. Have a happy period ! clearly a man devised that slogan because that's about as likely as having a pet unicorn. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..