Gluten free- The survival guide.

I read something online the other day about people who have gone gluten free but don't actually know what gluten is. It was more than a little worrying in that it would suggest that they didn't have any underlying health concerns that caused them to do so such a coeliac disease or a gluten sensitivity. More than likely they saw and bandwagon and hopped on it and God help the ones who are staying from rice and potatoes in a misguided belief that they contain gluten. No they don't so please don't ask me if I can eat them unless you wish to see me roll my eyes. In case you are unsure gluten is a mixture of two proteins present in cereal grains especially wheat and it gives dough it's elastic texture which is why gluten free bread is such a miserable affair. It's also present in oats and rye and can be found in a large number of processed foods like chocolate, cereals, salad dressings and sauces and in lesser amounts in spelt ( a type of wheat that's less processed so generally more tolerable unless you are coeliac)

I have almost completely gluten free for three years now. Not quite completely because I  occasionally eat ryvita or give in to my urges to eat spelt bread and then suffer dearly for my gluttony. But a long the way I have picked up a number of tips that other might appreciate. It is worth noting at this point that there is said to be little benefit to going gluten free unless you have a sensitivity or coeliac disease even if it is trendy to do so. I, myself have a pretty strong gluten sensitivity so while having to remove croĆ»tons from my salad isn't going to do me any harm, actually eating a piece of cake or slice of toast will have me suffering for a few days afterwards. Initially it can seem like a pretty sad thing especially if you are like I was eating rice cakes with peanut butter and trying not to cry because you would give up your left arm just to have a sandwich but you come to adjust to it. 
Gluten free bread can be a pretty sad affair (hence my occasional and regretted spelt binges) and I have been know to describe it as what I think depression would taste like but they are making major headway in gluten free baking. There's a brand out there and I think they might be Irish called Bfree who are doing some pretty nice gluten free breads. Their sliced bread tastes much better toasted but their rolls make a pretty good sandwich. Also O'briens sandwich bars will make sandwiches with that bread if you request it which is pretty awesome because as someone who can't eat wheat, the idea of being able to get a sandwich on the go is pretty exciting. 

Also something else to be aware of is a lot of pre packed gluten free treats like cakes and buns and biscuits are absolutely loaded with sugar to make up for the lack of gluten so it's best to be aware of this in case you think it's a healthier option. It's not always. I have become hyper aware of this since I cut out sugar ( as it also makes me quite sick and I go a bit mad on it) and I have become an absolute fiend for label scanning before I buy anything. If you are going gluten free then this is something you will need to get used to doing because trust me they hide gluten (and sugar) in some very unexpected places) as a rule unless it's a non processed food that wouldn't contain gluten (like vegetables) then you should be checking. Trust me, your stomach will thank you later.

If you are after a sweet treat though I would swear by the nairns chocolate chip oat cookies.
In my pre sugar free days, I was rather partial to them and because they are made with oats, they don't need as much sugar to taste good. 
Another option is to try your hand at baking yourself. I was quite into that until I got carried away and started getting fat from eating all my baking so I had to cull it back a bit. I was never brave enough to try making my own bread but I was able to make some pretty delicious buns and cakes. To get a nicer texture I'd suggest using half gluten free flour and half almond flour (basically ground almonds and it can be found in the baking section of any supermarket) and it gives the baking a lovely moistness that gluten free treats often lack. I also used coconut sugar because it's not as bad as regular sugar plus its much sweeter so you need a lot less of it but that's up to you if you wish to try it. 

Also you can still eat pasta, all say yay. They are making some pretty good alternatives and my personal favourite is the dove farm rice pasta which Tesco sells and so does my local health food store but for much more money so I make the smart choice. 
Also I have found a good way to get by to prepare a lot more of my own food from scratch and eat more dinners that wouldn't usually contain gluten which isn't that hard. It's only when you go to eat lunch out and you're hit with options like a sandwich, wrap, bagel or panini which is what most cafes offer that you feel like eating is going to be impossible.

The good news is the world is becoming more aware of gluten free as thing and this means that more and more eateries are offering gluten free options so you don't have to be a pariah. In some cases, their heart is in the right places but they clearly don't understand what gluten free means. Like a cafe in Kilkenny where I once had lunch and brought me out their gluten free soup with brown bread and croutons floating in it. I have even had some pretty decent gluten free pizzas in the last few months. And that's a food I thought I'd never get to eat again. As well as that, a lot of french crepes are made with buckwheat which is in fact a gluten free flour so if you see those crepe vans around then it's always worth asking what they use. I had a delicious savory crepe while in Edinburgh that I'm still thinking about.
So it's not all bad especially if a bread fiend like me can gluten free. Even if I do occasionally get my boyfriend to eat cake just so I can ask questions about it and maybe smell it just a little. I'm getting by just fine.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..