Girl, missing

I have been having one of those weeks where I have been meaning to blog but somehow haven't quite gotten around to it. I even had things worth writing about like a fantastic comedy night I went to in Downes pub and a great drama workshop for kids I got to sit in on Wednesday night but after working nights last weekend and being back in college as a pa took its tole on me and I was just too tired to get a blog together. Then I discovered that I don't always get called when I get new hours and I should really be keeping an eye on my online roster. That way I wouldn't have discovered Thursday afternoon while at training in Kilkenny that I was down to work nights Thursday and Friday night. 

I am not sure how I would have prepared better for working Thursday night if I'd known in advance but I possibly would have made sure to get more sleep the night before so I wouldn't have gone stumbling in tired and full of coffee. It's funny how in a matter of weeks I have gone from the girl who was positively buzzing after one Cappuccino to someone who needs at least 4 coffees to stay upright on a night shift. As I write this I am lying in bed, it's 1pm and feel I need someone to carry me to the shower because I don't know how else I am going to get there. Today I will need coffees and sugar and at least one nap and if my boyfriend is to be believed I will be very very boring for the day. I think that will be something to do with the fact that I will want to lie down a lot and declare myself incapable of operating a moving vehicle making it impossible for us to go anywhere for the day.

That's the thing about working nights, I have only done 5 ever but it feels like a crash course in sleep deprivation and it puts me on the missing list. I can't make real plans the night I am working because I need to leave at 10 to get to work on time. I can't make plans the next day because I need to stock up on all the sleep in order in face into another night which makes it somewhat impossible to do anything and then I am so zoned out with the amount of sleep I have managed to cobble together that I am not mentally present at all. It feels a bit like an out of body experience and not in a good way. Today I can't imagine I'll be getting up to too much because I keep spacing out in the middle of my own sentences. It is making writing a blog post a whole lot of fun, I can tell you that much. Tomorrrow, theres a good chance I'll still be recovering so not as much of a zombie but probably about 50% Laura. So even though it looks like I have managed to nab a full weekend off to myself (lucky me) at the same time I haven't because post night shift Laura isn't really me at all, she's a girl, missing. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..