Humans of the Deise Exhibition


Last night my Boyfriend and I went a long to the Humans of the Deise exhibition. I wont tell you a big long story about me being reluctant to go out and him persuading me but I will say I was wrapped up in a fluffy blanket until I absolutely had to leave. Humans of the Deise, for those of you not familiar with it. is a concept inspired by the renowned Humans of New York, Except set in the Deise (Waterford city and county). The photographer responsible for this project, Danny Kidney, takes candid pictures of ordinary Waterford people and does it so naturally that for the most part you would think they had no idea the photo was being taken. He has been sharing the photos on his Facebook page - humans of the Deise- and each one has a little snippet that gives you an insight into the different characters that are featured. For me that is my favourite part. Everyone gets a look in from up and coming local band Crome yellow to local man about town Michael better known to all as 'How do' as its his customary greeting.

Last night he had built up an enough of a collection that he was ready to show case them in local arts hub Central arts. The thing I love most about exhibitions in Central Arts is that they really make the most of the space available to them so you start to see art work/photos on the walls as soon as you walk in the door. I made my way slowly upstairs stopping to read and admire each portrait as I went. It seems everyone featured has a story to tell. Once I had seen all the pictures we made our way to the main room in Central hall, the one with the stage (and suddenly I have lost my grasp on the English language and can't think of the word for it) to chat to everyone milling around, by this stage the place was buzzing and there was a great slideshow playing in front of the main stage showing all the different photos that had featured. Once everyone had been given a chance to have a proper look around, they opened the exhibition. Ciara O'Connell (of Central Arts) came on first and said a few words of thanks and introduced Danny Kidney. He got a little shy when it was his time to speak but everyone was saying that he really should be proud of the fantastic body of work he has put together. And then John Halligan, Independent TD and Poet came up to speak a few words about supporting the arts here in Waterford and the great work both Central Arts and Danny have been doing in keeping the arts alive here in Waterford. Once the speeches finished, Danny Kidney, returned to the stage briefly to give special thanks to Paul Dower (of Waterford in your pocket website that shares photos and stories that highlight everything great about Waterford) and I quite enjoyed this as he was standing beside me taking photos and blissfully unaware he was being called to the stage. It is really fantastic to see how people within the community are supporting each other but also that the arts are really thriving. As Paul 'Waterford in your pocket' Dower would say 'Waterford, what a place !'
I am sure I'll be back in Central soon for whatever cultural delights they bring to the city next and you'll be able to read all about it here on my blog.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..