Drowning instinct -a review

Drowning instinct -ilsa j bick
Blurb "falling for a teacher breaks all the rules, what if he wants to break them too?
Jenna's parents say they love her. So why do they ignore her? Jenna's brother says he loves her. So why hasn't he visited her in years? Jenna's teacher says he loves her. He treats her well, he protects her and tells her she's beautiful. Mr Anderson is the only one she can trust so why Is she telling her story to a detective ?"

it's a story that is built up to be quite sinister and complex but really boils Dow. To teenage Angst. In this story we have a dysfunctional family and an unhappy teenager who cuts herself ( literally the third book in a row that I've read in which the main character does that !) to deal with the tension at home and the fact that ( spoiler alert) they never talk about her brothers death ( yea that's why he never visits her) and in the midst of all this, Jenna, a vulnerable teenage girl, falls for a teacher that has taken a keen interest in her. They try to pen it as a forbidden love scenario when really it's a story of a veer inappropriate teacher taking advantage of his students vulnerabilities.

The author starts to hint that he might have done this with other students and that he as good as groomed her ( technically she is of age which stops it being classed as statutory rape) and decides Instead to focus on the view point
Of an unstable teenage girl who's desperate to be loved.

I'm not sure if teenagers will get something from this that I didn't but I felt as though I was being pandered to
And was only glad I hadn't wasted more time reading it

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..