Beatrice and Virgil -a review

Beatrice and Virgil - Yann Martel
The blurb "this is the story of a donkey named Beatrice and a monkey named Virgil. It is also the story of an extraordinary journey undertaken by a man named Henry. It begins with a mysterious parcel and ends in a place that makes you think again about one of the most significant events of the twentieth century. One you have finished reading it, it's impossible to forget'

Having read and greatly enjoyed the life of Pi I had high hopes for the book but sadly
It did not live up to my expectations. Despite the promising sounding blurb, the book is about a man Henry who finds himself stuck after he is unable to write a good follow to the masterpiece he wrote
Several years ago. He receives a request for help from a strange taxidermist who is writing a play. The play seems to be
A metaphor for the holocaust and its central characters are a monkey and a donkey and from the dialogue excerpts we hear it is reminiscent of Samuel Beckett's waiting for Godot, in that nothing really seems to happen.
That all being said the book itself was incredibly well written.

I think the problem was that I was expecting more and I have to say had I read this first I probably would not have gone on to read the life of pi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..