Out of the easy -review

Out of the easy - Ruth sepetys
Based in the 1940s New Orleans ( the big easy), this story centres on teenager Josie Moraine who is the daughter of a local
Prostitute who dreams of leaving New Orleans and going to an elite college.
A mysterious death In the quarter draws Josie In just as she's preparing to leave and she struggles to escape the future her mother has paved out for her.

I've definitely never read anything in young adult fiction quite like this. It was surprisingly well written and takes you on a trip to the seedier side of 1940s New Orleans. Josie has grown up with a mother that didn't care for her, choosing to focus more on the brothel she works and this leaves Josie getting by working two jobs. One at a local bookshop which is also where she lives but another is cleaning at the brothel where her mother works. At times it's hard to believe she will ever leave especially as she comes dangerously close to following her mothers career path.

A refreshing change from the dystopian fiction that seems be the teen genre most
Published these days. Interesting enough that I'd like to read her first novel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..