What's so empowering about women that sleep around


What's so empowering about women that sleep around?

Every time I go online I see something about the HBO show Girls
There's a lot of talk of how brave actress Lena Durham is to be naked for
so much of it when she's not in shape and how empowering the show is for women.

So I gave it another shot, having previously watched episode one and dismissed it quite some
time ago. I liked and laughed and cringed but I'm sure I took from it what I was supposed to.
The show features four twenty somethings who are completely self centred, with no real direction
in their lives and they sleep around a lot but don't seem to be happier for it and It got me thinking.
How exactly does this empower me ?

I understand the thinking that men have casual sex and get patted on the back for such an
achievement but women are called sluts or worse for the same behaviour but I don't feel
there's any need to applaud promiscuity on any level.
Before you get your knickers in a twist,
I'd like to make it known that I am not voicing this opionion as someone who has lived
piously and sits at home landing judgements on others.
I know what I'm talking about here,
I had casual sex through much of my twenties and honestly it didn't make me feel empowered,
it actually just made me feel like shit. Be it a one night stand or where you're kind of
seeing someone but not really dating and aside from occasional good sex, all it served
was the purpose of validating this idea that you're not worth very much.

Now I'm not presumptious enough to presume I can speak freely on behalf of all women,
Because in reality all I know is how I feel about it. But I can say based on conversations
I have had with other women down through the years that no one really feels empowered from it
even those that claim they do are often miserable and are just telling themselves they are happy because
this is all they really wanted all along.
When the real message they are sending to themselves is this is all you deserve, this is all you are worth and
there's nothing empowering about that.

When it comes to judgments about this sort of behavior it is often women who are the worst.
Women who sit back muttering behind their hands about how so and so is such a slut and feeling superior.
This is a prevailing attitude that just opens the door for men to say the say the same.
I think that really it is the permissiveness towards putting other women down that is half the problem.
No one benefits from that.

It's worth noting at this point that I wasn't empowered by fifty shades of grey either, terrible writing aside (Stephenie Meyer
eat your heart out) but that might be because having dated an emotionally damaged control freak I didn't find
it appealing to read about this woman being demeaned and 'liking' it. At the end of the day this
is only my opinion and I'm not saying anyone has to agree with it. Just hear me out or don't
and make your own mind up from there.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..