I don't know what's better, the biscuits or the guilt

The comedian Dylan Moran has a bit in one of his shows where he talks about being a guest at someone's house and being offered biscuits and that strange Irish thing where you refuse several times before giving in, and he says he doesn't know what's better, the biscuits or the guilt.

We're all familiar with it, a hangover from catholic school Is the guilt they allow you to go home With. I'm am a self professed sufferer of food guilt.
Now I Have a complex relationship with food so
It's possible it stems from that but regardless of the cause , now I'm healthier I'm even more aware of food guilt which is ironic in a way. In case about what food guilt is, it's when you feel guilt after eating bad food or too much food even long after said food indiscretion has been digested .
Now that I'm more health conscious so I know there's no solace to be found in cake and chocolate is No cure for boredom but I think on some level I still feel if I get too close to the edge of irresponsible eating I'll just fall off and end
Up right back where I started. This is somewhat unlikely as even a day of bad eating would now leave me so ill
I'd be begging for vegetables by the end of it but the trouble with this kind of fear is its like an argument with my father in that logic has no place there.

I know that almond butter and my home
Made sugar free treats don't equal a full packet of Jaffa cakes but the trouble is back when that when I ate badly I didn't know quite how bad the food was
,just that I'd eaten too much. I didn't really
Know calories or nutritional value and truth be told I didn't really want to. Since the end of last summer I've been using an app on my phone called my fitness pal in which you log all the food you've eaten and any exercise you've done and it
Totals your calorie consumption on z day to day basis but allows you look
Back over previous days and weeks and it has been a wake up call. In one way it stops me from completely pigging out buy in another it only serves to fuel my food guilt. This is ultimately not helpful as that makes me feel bad and feeling bad naked me want to eat something nice to make myself feel better. I think you can see how that's not a good thing but sometimes I think I need that as a wake up
Call to restrain emotional eating as much as possible.

I just need to remember that food is not a reward and that for the most part I do enjoy exercise so it's not punishment and the answer to the title of the post is neither. If you beat yourself up over eating a few biscuits then you take no enjoyment from them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..