Edinburgh

When I finished college I had plans, plans which kept changing and eventually I settled on moving to
Edinburgh for no particular reason other than some of my friends had hatched on a plan to live there
and I really hadnt decided what was next for me. I was convinced I was going to be the one to settle there
yet four months later I moved home (for a guy I was seeing, I know ! and if you're wondering how that worked out
not well is the answer). Of the five of us that moved over only two of the girls stayed and still live there two years on.
I ended up back in Waterford, the city I was so keen to escape and it was both a good and a bad thing.

I never really experienced Edinburgh in my time there as Id only just started earning money properly when I left
so who's to say in different circumstances it might have been a new home for me and while I'm aware it was other
factors that soured my experience there (snow and mr crazy pants- the ex) I still havent made it back even for a visit.

When I think of Edinburgh now I think of snow and cold and the long commute to work. I never really got to
experience the nightlife or the culture which is a shame yet while coming home wasn't easy and the months
after I came home weren't fun I think it was a badly needed wake up call.

When I lived in Edinburgh I didn't exercise unless you count walking and I ate crap all the time. Im pretty sure the mini donuts
from asda would have been the death of me. While I was living there I was still eating wheat all the time, blissfully unaware of
the horrible effect it was having on my body and Im fairly certain had I stayed nothing would have changed for me.
I would have eaten whatever I wanted all the time and drank stupid amounts because that's what my friends were doing
and then when I spent two days badly hungover I'd have stuffed my face some more. I'm not sure how long it would have taken me over there
to reach breaking point or if id have reached it at all.

So I moved home to endure six unhappy months of unemployment and thanks to my living situation
possibly six of the most stressful months of my whole life but I came through. Out of boredom I joined
a gym and learned how to use a kettlebell and it kind of changed my life. sure I could wallow in the maybes
and kick myself for the mistakes Ive made but Im choosing to see the bright side.
Moving home was the kick in the ass I needed and going to hospital almost a year later is what made
me see that I had to give up wheat for good and start taking care of myself. maybe it would have
been nicer to learn these things the easy way but I didn't. Yesterday I did 100 burpees, two years ago
I couldnt have managed one. So If im looking for the reason I moved home, this is it






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..