Expectation meet reality

There often seems to chasm between expectations and reality and I know this well as my hopes lie in the cracks that line the path between the two.

I find New Year's Eve to be a prime example of this. Year after year I built myself up for this supposed ' best night of the year' and endlessly found it coming up short when New Years turned out to in fact be worse than your average night out and I'm surprised I didn't anticipate it when all the signs of a disastrous night loomed large each time. For starters New Years means town is busier than any other night of the year and I've never been a fan of crowds. In fact I wonder who are these people who actively enjoy feeling like sardines in a tin on a night out plus when you're me anyway New Years doesn't involve anything all that new or different so you find yourself paying admittance to a nightclub or bar that you weren't all that fond of to begin with and there's more people in there than its capacity allows and you have to wonder how anyone thinks this could possibly be a good night. In recent years I've wised up
and silently boycott New Years as though it is any other night and have been both richer ( but not much) and happier for it.

another way in which I feel the divide between expectations and reality is when I'm dreading something and then it happens and I realise its nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. This is a frequent occurrence in my life as I worry like I'm being paid to do it. In this worry il allow myself to blow small concerns completely out of proportion time and time again. Lately in work we've been preparing for our annual stock take. now
I've only been working in the shop since last May so this is my first bookshop stock take so all I had to go on was widely exaggerated tales of how dreadful the last one was and how long it would take.
I did a fantastic job of turning this one day where I might have to stay back after work into something that put me in a bad mood whenever I thought about it and it became this event that would throw my whole week off kilter. Firstly I was supposed to be off that day but I got called into work the stock take and then I was due to be off the day after but I went around work in a huff because the stock take meant I couldn't go home straight after work and had decided I would probably be too tired to go home the morning after so my day off would be a write off and I wouldn't get to train and on and on this went until the
Impending stock take hung over my head like a black cloud.

In case you were wondering I survived the stock take. It didn't mess up my whole week but I wouldn't go so far as to say I enjoyed it. counting 100 envelopes followed by 80 pencil toppers was not
My idea of fun but we got out at 8pm and traipsed the pub and all chatted happily glad to have that out of the way for another year. I sipped water while the others drank leaving myself ready for Fridays training, wiser now that I can see worrying myself into a frenzy never helps and that sometimes it can be a good thing when expectations turn out to be poles apart from reality

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..