Princess for a day

so, how was your Saturday ? Mine was insane. anyone who knows me is aware I've been planning a princess party for the last two weeks and today was d-day.

The party was due to start at 3 so I had the art stuff ready and the bunting was hanging and to be honest I was a little worried No kids would show up. I had contacted the schools and put it on our Facebook plus posters in store so really I should have known.

After lunch I changed into my princess outfit ( see below- the best i could do at short notice) and already there were princesses gathered in the children's section. By then I realised a no show was not something to be worried about and. by three there was an ever flowing stream of princesses into the shop, a lot of rapunzels and sleeping beauties and Cinderellas and even a pumpkin and wizard, there's always one or two who don't conform.
I even said to one customer, who was in with his daughter, oh I've never seen this many princesses in one place and he replies oh yea there must be something on. Now bear it in mind that I'm standing beside in my dress with a tiara and long gloves so I laugh and say yea well I'm
Throwing a princess party. I'm not dressed like this for kicks like. I'm sure soon he will be nominated for the least observant man ever.

By the time I decide to get the festivities started there has got to be over 40 princesses plus parents gathered round With more arriving by the minute and there is more than a small part of me that would like to run away until they all go home but seeing as I'm hosting the princess party it's hardly an option. I gather as many princesses as I can to the middle of the shop and attempt to read a story to 40 odd kids while most of the adults talk all around me and that one annoying kid who shows up to these things unsupervised interrupts me every chance she can get. it was exhausting trying to make sure everyone was listening, could hear me and had a chance to see the pictures and just trying to keep them engaged in the story and I wasn't even half way through when buns were handed out. Good luck holding the attention of small children while sugar gets waved in their faces.

after the story I decided we would make tiaras. It was the only thing I could think of doing that wouldn't involve accidentally squashing any princesses as by this stage there was barely room to stand in the shop and I had to get someone to copy more, I think we gave out more than 60. There was war over crayons and floor space and kids displaying delightful manners as they grabbed colouring pages from my hands and as all this mayhem unfolded more   goody bags filled with sweets are handed out.
I generally find when you have more kids than Health and safety regulations probably allow its always a good idea to pump them full of sugar and see what happens.I joke but hey I guess this is a children's party

One of the girls started face painting and the crowd slowly began to calm and this is the part of these events I like. Where you get to connect with the kids and you can Walk across the shop without accidentally stepping on one. I gathered a few of the remaining kids and we had s princess quiz full of princess questions I thought up on my lunch. and I gave out chocolate sweets to the kids When they answered correctly. Just in case they hadn't consumed enough sugar. The quiz was nice and fun and one child who had never met my niece gave me a very detailed explanation of why my niece doesn't like the movie we were talking about. Turns out she was spot on.
and finally we had one more princess story which always gets a giggle because they say the word bum.

it was a success, completely and utterly chaotic but good fun even if the shop looks like it was taken apart by vandals and tomorrow I have a mild hangover plus sorting that out to look forward to. On the bright side I got to be in work in a tiara and what's not to love about that

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..