The anti dote- a review

The anti dote -Oliver Bergman
In the anti dote Oliver looks at what is wrong with the pursuit of happiness through relentless optimism and positive thinking.

It makes for a fascinating read and you can tell from the outset that this isn't your usual self help nonsense, I'm not sure of this could even be classed as self help. It is more a look at the flawed way of thinking that is pushed upon us by motivational speakers and self help gurus.

He examines how constantly thinking positive ( or trying to) only serves to bring negative thoughts to the forefront of your mind. To think positive you have to suppress all negative thoughts and as soon as you start doing that you think more About the things that you are trying to suppress.

Another interesting aspect of this book is where he takes a look at stoicism and the benefits of it as a way of thinking. Stoics believe that it is not the things, people or events in your life that are stressing or upsetting you but the thoughts or judgements you attach to them. This connects quite strongly with Byron Katie's way of thinking and I think there is a lot to be Gained from that mindset.

He also looks at how extreme dedication to goals can prove to be detrimental
When you become so goal centric you stop being able to see detrimental effects of the relentless pursuit of your goals.

All In all I think it made for an enlightening read, It didn't promise to fix me or make me happier but it did open my mind and give me food for thought

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..