Paleo - faileo

So as part of the lent 40
Day challenge I am doing with the gym ( no wheat, sugar and minimal dairy) I am constantly looking for new things to eat.

But here's the problem, I am a fussy vegetarian so finding things I can eat that actually look appetizing. So I was in work tidying cookery books which a sneaky way of browsing and I already knew that normal cook books have too
Much of everything I can't eat, the gluten free recipes overflow with sugar and the vegetarian recipes are positively bloated with wheat. And then I found 'Paleo living for dummies' which merited further investigation so I borrowed it to read ( at home, they frown upon me actually reading the books while working ).

At first I was feeling pretty excited, I'd already given up wheat and sugar , how hard could it be and there were many health benefits and it sounded like it might actually fix things like my stomach problems but enthusiasm only lasted until I hit the food list - what's allowed and banned when you go Paleo.
So here's my problems with Paleo

1) all the meat ! Clearly no vegetarians lived in the Paleolithic era. Which so much focus on meat that I could never see myself eating I had horrible visions of a lifetime of eating giant bowls of salad

2) some of the other food restrictions. Now I'm fine about a lot of the stuff other people would panic over forgoing but I'm am only okay with these changes because
Of other things in my diet, things paleo
Wants to take away from me. Paleo means no rice and also no rice pasta, no cheese or potatoes or ryvita or porridge and no agave syrup which means No more booja booja, gulp! I felt sad just reading about it. It was like I'd been offered my dream job on the condition that I never contact my friends or family again. Too dramatic? No, I didn't think so either

3) the final nail in the paleo coffin was this. According to the for dummies book, an essential part of beginning your 30 day strict paleo diet ( there is some lee way after you have survived this) is starting a journal where you write positive affirmations such as .' I am strong, health and enjoying the paleo lifestyle'. What the hell ! You then stick your affirmations around the house so you can be reminded of them all the time. I would not be into to that at all and I think it's worth noting that it doesn't work. I've read a lot of literature recently that says when you work to think positively you have to suppress negative thoughts which only serves to make the negative thoughts more prevalent in your mind.

I think I can safely say I won't be going paleo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..