Fat chance- a review

Fat chance. : the real truth about sugar - Dr Robert Lustig

This book is written by a world renowned obesity expert that has investigated the truth about Our sugar laden diet and the part that it has to play in causing obesity, diabetes and high blood pressure.

He looks at how the changes In the food industry have affected out weight gain, not of the most prominent examples being
High fructose corn Syrup as a sugar replacement, but he also examines why political forces and those high up in the food industry don't want things to change.

I found this book to be both informative and alarming, I've always known sugar was not good for me in any respect but it was not until I read fat chance that I realized quite how damaging it can
Be. Ironically this kind of book Is exactly the kind of thing that people on
High sugar diets need to be reading, if they really knew what they were putting into their bodies then perhaps they would be prepared to make real changes instead of going on faddy diets that set them up to failure and then comfort eat their way out of failure. But the main problem here is that the people who would most benefit from the information presented here are also the most likely to be put off by the subject matter and instead it's being read by the more Health conscious people like myself, I'd already concluded myself glad sugar was a toxin, based on my own experiences and withdrawal symptoms when I first started to cut back, so in that sense I didn't need the scare this book provides .

I found unlike a lot of non fiction books, I did not struggle to read this. I was genuinely interested in what Dr Lustig had to say next . His argument was presented quite succinctly which helped the flow of the book but it was my interest in the subject matter that propelled me to go on reading.

I confess to have been previously somewhat ignorant to the very complexities of obesity and the resulting
Metabolic diseases that stem
From it and had believed it to be a fast more black and white issue but now consider myself reeducated.
The main things I've learned from this book is that not all calories Are created equal, obesity is not the fault of the individual but can be caused by a number of factors ranging from societal ( how people in poorer neighbourhoods don't have access to good quality affordable food) right down to how so much of the food today With its trans fats is designed to be addictive and leave you craving more plus more complex hormonal factors.
Also that in places like the United State, where obesity is most prevalent, the government is resistant to change, firstly they won't acknowledge that the rising numbers of those suffering from metabolic diseases is their problem, they refuse to see the part that sugar has to play In all this and most of all they don't want a fight, sure isn't it easier to allow people to eat themselves to death than pass laws that will make you unpopular.
And finally the food industry will be resistant every step of the way. When people eat fat and sugar they benefit, the profit and they are prepared to challenge anyone that prevents them
From lining their pockets.

I feel this is something everyone one should be informed about and people as a whole would benefit from reading this book but I am aware that most people won't and I have to prepared to accept that. Otherwise I will find myself cornering people to tell them how sugar is toxic and be like that one girl at the party who's just found Jesus :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..