50 shades of grey

This morning yet again I found myself wasting time I didn't really have hunting for grey hairs with a tweezers, It would be fair to say I'm not aging gracefully. I'm fighting it every step of the way.
The grey hairs keep on cropping up and alarmingly they are not just restricted to the easy reaches of beneath my fringe but appearing among the good hairs and ruining my center parting.

Am I aware that I'm being ridiculous? most certainly but that doesn't mean I'll stop. I'm getting older and there's not a damn thing I can do about it except try my hardest to not look my age. The world is filled with people who feel the same way so some small comfort can be taken from that.

It's all downhill from here or so people keep telling me with great cheer, all younger people. Like the aging process wont catch them too.  One of these days I'll tell someone my age and they wont be very surprised and that will be a sad day for me having taken great comfort in at least passing a twenty something. I'll probably cry a little and then run out and spend stupid money on a very expensive face cream or just suggest they get their eyes tested because dammit look how young  I look ( that will be me taking it very badly indeed.)

But the whole aging thing got me thinking, how old is too old for.... dating someone in their twenties, or wearing a short skirt, or wearing a tracksuit into town. Now I'm off the opinion that you shouldn't ever wear a tracksuit into town unless you came straight from the gym but there's something just wrong about the image of an old person in a tracksuit and I can't quite say why, what's the cut off point and who decides this. The twenty year old thing is not because I'm harboring some cougar like fantasies for later down the line but actually because I hear people talking all the time about someone dating someone with a big age gap and it's always made out to be such a big deal but my ex is only now 22. He was 19 when we got together, that's mr crazy pants from the other blog posts, so if you were thinking he behaved like a child then you wouldn't have been far off . Now there was an 8 year age gap, was that too much? possibly so. And to be fair I learned my lesson and I'm sticking to guys a little closer to my age from now on but it made me hesitant to pass judgement on other women doing the same.

I've always wondered if I'll reach a certain age and Topshop will just refuse to sell me clothes and push me into wallis or next or wherever it is deemed suitable for me to shop or is all of that just left to common sense and bit of decency. If that's the case then were probably all screwed. I've already started to get a little more demure in my way of dress but I think I spent a little too much of my twenties flaunting what I didn't really have in some sort of bid to feel attractive and now I'm finally growing up and seeing there's more to me than a bum skimming skirt and a low cut top. For every one or two women who think like that there will always be ten more who will squeeze themselves into body con dresses until they are forcibly stopped.

I think everyone fears getting older but some more than most and we have a constant stream of grown women coming into the shop and exclusively reading teenage fiction, which is a little tragic really. I have read a fair bit of what's new in young adult fiction but I don't read every series going and I read a fair bit of proper books too so it all balances out. It's not like I got stuck at 18 and refused to mature beyond that. They'll still be sloping into the shop in hoodies beyond their late forties seeking vampires and werewolves and the like.

There's a difference between fighting aging and aging disgracefully and I think I'd like to keep whatever dignity I have left so I'll exercise to stay strong and watch what I eat but I won't dress like a teenager or chat up guys in their early twenties ( any more, damn it sounds much less impressive when I have to throw in that caveat) but I will fight every last grey hair for as long as I can and maybe soon I'll start saving my smiles for the single men ( so you know I wont get any extra crows feet )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..