Tumbleweeds - a review

Tumbleweeds -Leila Menchan
after the bad taste the book 'human remains' left in my mouth, I was longing for something a little less dark and Tumbleweeds seemed to be what I was looking for.

The story Is set in Texas and Spans 30 years chronicling the lives of three characters an eleven year old orphan sent to live with her grandmother following the death of her parents and her two boys with whom she forms a friendship which complicates as the three grow older. It is a story about the lies we tell and the intricacies of relationships.

Now despite that old adage which tells us not to judge a book by its cover I find myself doing it literally on a quite a regular basis. This was yet another book that seems to have wandered into the literary fiction section so with that and it's beautifully decorated cover I thought it was going to be something more than it was.

It was light and easy to read but I felt the author sort of let the story down. she could have done a lot more with it. The characters had a sort of two dimensional feel to them and there were a few too many holes in the plot that niggled at me throughout the book. Towards the end there were a few too many plot twists and it all felt rushed and like she was trying to keep you guessing but really I was just annoyed. I got what she was trying to do with the story but I don't feel she was a good enough writer to pull it off. Needless to say I wont be working my way through her back catalogue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..