Is now a good time to mention that running is not my favorite?

I have accidentally become one of those people who is so enthused about cross-fit that I bring it up a lot. Maybe too much and for that I'd like to apologize but only a little bit. I'm just about sorry enough to buy those, sick of hearing the insane things I do for fun, a tiny box of roses, not a full sized one.

Anyway because of work I usually only get to take part in regular classes and I'm always missing out whenever the gym takes to the hills or woods or wherever to work out. Naturally I lament the fact that I have missed some very cool looking workout once again so when the opportunity arose to take part in one today I jumped at the chance.
I thought it was best to not find out what the workout was likely to involve lest I talk myself out of it So I arrived at the gym only knowing where we were starting and that I had three hours of some sort of forge related fun to look forward to. It never occurred to me to wonder how exactly these three hours would be broken down and If I'd known quite how much of it would involve me running (okay attempting to run ) up a mountain I might have found something less painful to do with my morning.
We started with some running down a hill and then some running up a hill and lots more running up a hill followed by, you guessed it, more running. Now to be fair I was running for a bit but walking for a lot while my calves complained and lungs made noises to suggest they were going on strike. I'm not a runner, its not my favorite. I'm slowly improving but for now If you see me running generally assume I'm being chased by someone and get moving too. Its a safer bet.

If you're wondering the photo is not me running. I am not a comedy runner like Phoebe from friends, we stopped for sprints and Burpees on about the only bit of flat terrain we encountered along the way. In case you were wondering Burpees on grass that's almost brown from sheep shit, way more fun than burpees on plain old gym mats. Little did I know that was the easiest part of the workout and if I'd known what lay ahead I probably wouldn't have complained quite so loudly the first time I stepped in ankle deep mud.

Clearly all that running up and down hills, through mud, and rocks all kinds of dangerous terrain can get boring after a while so lucky for us it was livened up by giving us a log to carry in teams along the way. If there's anything I like less than running it has to be running with a log. we took our log up a hill and then down a hill then we stopped to do some exercises with the logs, as you do and then we really started having fun and got to walk over walls, down narrow paths that veer a little too close to the stream for comfort and wade back and forth across the stream many many times. Not to be a wuss (even though I totally am) I don't really like the water because I can't swim and I just get nervous when it gets deep so I found it particularly enjoyable ( read nerve wracking) having to do wade through waist deep, ice cold, water full of slippery rocks all while balancing a log under my arm.

So three hours later I made it back to my car, a little colder, a lot wetter and maybe just a little indignant about the fact I was told I might get a tiny bit wet which did not leave me prepared to limp home wet up to my knickers. But I survived my first proper hard core wod outside with running in very cold weather and that's an achievement in itself. My legs are already complaining but I did run, and maybe walk a bit, 10 k, which is a first for me and If I ever recover, I might just do it all again

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..