Words do not define me

I was looking at my blog introduction today and realized well its now got the wrong age so I changed the wording and then came the tough bit. How do you define yourself because I always get stuck when I encounter an introduce yourself bit on any sort of online profile. I even get all awkward and tongue tied when forced to do it in real life.

The crux of the matter is this, when you are describing yourself to people who don't know where do you even start ? I usually launch with my name, age and then my career (or lack thereof ) but I can't help thinking is that really how I wish to define myself? are these my most important features or would my blog be any different if I was a twenty two year old working in an office. 

Life is easier when people can get to know you face to face and make their own decisions about you but the moment you go online you are being judged from every angle and I just can't manage to sell myself. Possibly why I'd never survive in the world of online dating, you are seemingly less attractive when you cannot talk yourself up. Sometimes self depreciation isn't seen as an appealing quality which is a shame because self depreciating comments roll off my tongue before I've had the chance to finish thinking them. 

It's not just a case of how do I say nice things or can I ask a good friend to just write my introduction for me ( or maybe just write it in the third person so it looks as though I had somebody do that) but it all comes down to defining yourself in twenty words or less. What do you put in and what do you leave out. Unless you're in a vocation then does your job really matter, I guess if I'm writing a blog called bookshop Laura there's no point in hiding mine but I wonder will this one day not be relevant when I take myself on a journey elsewhere.
Do I tell you about my interests ? my family ? my life ? or will I just cheat a little like I did here and keep it short and sweet and let my blog do the talking.

So in a way words do not define me and to say that is but a truth and a lie because this blog is
written with my words, my thoughts, feelings and petty grievances and you'll will read it (or not) And make judgments about me based on what you read. This blog is me and it is crafted from my words so even though I struggle to say who I am in a paragraph or two, I think by now you'll have worked it out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..