On not growing up

I spend an inordinate amount of my day battling adult worries. Worrying about my diet and my life and all the bloody bills, it's not fun. In fact I would go so far as to say it's the opposite of fun. and the worst part of it all is that it's so hard to switch off. Even when I'm eating or watching something on my laptop I can almost hear my brain whirring while it impatiently waits to interrupt my downtime with more pressing concerns.

While all this is going on, recently on an outing to tk maxx I picked up a diet doodle diary. Its supposed to be a journal for food and exercise but has other tips plus things to doodle and I thought it would be a bit of fun seeing as I'm already attempting to diet and exercise. Naturally this also required markers, right. and with the purchase of these new favorite things I discovered something I had forgotten, coloring in is pretty damn soothing. It's like really cheap therapy because lets face retail therapy is a lot less fun when you've a tenner left at the end of the week and aside from your discount stores it's not going to get you very far.
So I fully accept that it's not a grown up pursuit but don't I have my whole life to be a grown up and if my esb bill gets paid and my car gets taxed on time then who really cares if If I choose to spend some free time doodling flowers.

And it made me realize how nice it is to let go and not be thinking and worrying and stressing for once in my day. It was a break from me and I think we all need one of those at some point.

I think that no one can avoid growing old because that's an inevitability, no matter how you stamp your feet at the unfairness of the world when you feel your twenties were gone before you truly got to appreciate them but really no one says you have to act your age. Color in if the mood strikes you ,be silly once in a while.
Actually remember to enjoy your life now and again, you'll thank yourself for it in years to come.

Now that's not some caveat for dressing like a teenager or getting drunk off your ass when you're old enough to know better but just me saying embrace your inner child. You'll feel calmer and happier and more relaxed and I think we could all do with a bit of that.

I'm seriously considering buying a coloring book and there's nothing wrong with that. Even if I'll mutter something about it being for one of my nieces when I buy it so I'll just pause and say sorry girls, Auntie Laura's keeping this one. Sometimes grown ups need to color in too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..