Hangover depression

I find after a night out I tend to wake with certain trepidation, mentally assessing any alcohol related injuries or desires to vomit before I dare to move from my bed. But even on mornings like this one where I woke knowing I had paced myself all night, Like a grown up (or woman who fears the many calories in wine), I still didn't know what to expect.

Initially it all seemed good, no overwhelming bouts of nausea, no eye splitting headache and not a bruise to be found but as the last vestiges of sleep cleared I felt this overpowering wave of sadness that could only be cured by copious amounts of chocolate. and Boom there it is, the dreaded hangover depression and then I remembered I'm not eating chocolate right now and then it just became full on depression, Well not really but the lack of chocolate to channel my sadness into certainly didn't help.

Hangover depression is the only part of the hangover worse than the being violently ill or the god  awful flashbacks of 'oh god I didn't ...... did I?. The only real way out of it is to recognize it for what it is. The terrible punishment your body puts upon you for poisoning it with alcohol. oh no wait, not that, It's usually just a one day thing to be suffered through and you will come out the other side unharmed unless like me you are an emotional eater and then you might come out the other side fatter.

Today is not a day to be making any big life decision, big life decisions that are tinged with the bitter sadness of last night's drinking will be bad decisions by default. The awful negativity that clouds your judgement makes nothing seem possible so its best to just accept your brain is temporarily out of commission and distract it instead with shiny, sparkly things. Today is not a day to make any significant plans for the day or week or even the next hour. It is all about not thinking and trying not to eat every item of food which has the misfortune to cross your path.

Today is a day of hangover depression but tomorrow, well tomorrows going to be something else all together

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..