Should I just give up now ?

So this morning on my break I was on Facebook having a bit of a browse as you when I saw a girl that I used to work with had commented on a photo that her friend had uploaded. Now Facebook has such spurious regard for its users privacy that it allowed me to view the photo and the comment despite the fact that I didn't actually know the girl. Anyway the post was about the fact that her boyfriend had proposed to her by writing the proposal some where a roll of loo roll and then rolled tissue back over it so she could be surprised by it.

All the comments that followed were saying how funny it was and wishing congratulations and so on and so forth but my initial reaction was just No, that's just wrong. She should have turned him down on principle alone and if she was one of my friends I would happily have told her so. Sometimes I worry society is on the decline and honestly this doesn't do much to reassure me. It's like we all just decided to stop trying
and I'm not saying a marriage proposal has to happen on the Eiffel tower in Paris or at some other such dramatically romantic location but you'd like to think that if the guy you were dating decided he wanted to spend the rest of his life(or at least next decade or so -till divorce do us part and all that) that he would at least put a bit off effort into it and not go with a surprise proposal when you were having a poo. No woman wants to be proposed to like that, now granted, this woman appears to have accepted the proposal but I very much doubt as a younger girl picturing this moment this is exactly what she pictured, well I certainly hope not.

I think if that's the best we can hope for why bother hoping at all.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..