That F.R.I.E.N.D.S moment

we had a wedding fair in work last night. As you do like, In a bookshop. To be Honest I'm not sure why we hosted it because I'm not sure what the shop gets out of it. Anyway the shop hosted one With the local suit place, cake makers, florist, jewellers and so on setting up stands in the shop and they drafted in staff as to model in the fashion show.

My name was put down because apparently my stint as an elf/princess/witch indicated an interest in dressing up and I just went with it. I thought getting done up in a wedding dress might be fun. We had our dress fitting last week and I can't say that it made me want to get married anytime
Soon but to be fair it was never high on my list of priorities to begin with. we were brought into a room with a mirrored wall
And asked to strip down to our underwear ( one by one , not en-masse ) and I waited there trying not to scrutinize my reflection while the dress fitter muttered to herself about the dress not closing on me. It took three attempts to find a dress that closed on me and by then I felt pretty defeated.
Dresses acquired that was my part played and then it was all about waiting for the big night to come along.

Honestly the part I was most excited about was being allowed out of work
During the day to get our hair and makeup done. I could tell from the minute I got in that Tuesday was not going to be a productive day In work( and I was correct)
I wandered about listlessly until it was my turn to get my hair done. I gave the hairdresser freedom to do whatever she wanted and my god did she go to town.
I felt panicked when she pulled out a curling tongs and curled my hair so that I looked like a doll and then back-Combed it into Afro and left me sitting there whole I silently panicked about returning to work looking with hair that looked like something birds might nest. I have helpfully posted a photo for your amusement because I'm lovely like that.
It did pull together quite well but I attracted some strange looks wandering around with my hair in an elaborate up do.

Next to come was the make up. It was great, I'd had lunch and then was sent straight out again on another adventure .
I let her do whatever she liked, sometimes it's good to trust the professionals and I liked what she did so much I was trying to work out if I'd money in my budget to
employ someone to come do my make up every morning. I'd have been fairly content for people to be under the impression that was how I looked most days. So then I returned to work in my regular clothes but looking like a painted doll. I got some curious looks from
Customers, to say the least.

When the time came we ran around work setting everything up and then the dresses arrived and I was told they'd made a last minute change to my wedding dress eeeek. But disaster didn't strike and it turned out to be nicer than the original . They blocked out the railing in the cafe upstairs and it became our changing area
For the night .which was strange but we just went with the flow and picked a corner to strip in. at one point there was about 6 of us dressed as brides and it made me think of that scene in friends where they all hire gowns for the fun of
Wearing them. I took comfort in the fact that I Was doing it for work which made me feel considerably less crazy . I liked it , being all glam even if it was just for an hour or two. so I made sure to get loads of photos to send home. I'd hate for my parents to miss the only opportunity they
Are going to get to see me in a wedding dress. I think the only bit i didn't like was having to walk down the stairs and down. The catwalk ( I use the term loosely) while trying not to trip myself up or get caught in the dress and do some sort of clumsy
Somersault in front of everyone ( I didn't )
Not even with a glass or two of wine ( we had been sipping away while we waited for the fashion show to start.

Having survived my first walk I hurried upstairs to change into outfit no 2, the bridesmaids dress . Unfortunately these dresses come in a standard length and as a midget woman I fall somewhat short of that so it took a bit of effort to not Walton my dress. I tucked myself into a corner to change, regretting my decision to wear a thong now that I was changing in such an open area and all the groomsmen were watching the show below and could turn at any point. One of dress shop ladies told me that professional models have to do this all the time and you just get used to it. However professional models have model bodies and there's no danger of someone confusing me with one. so with another few sneaky sips of wine I went down again to do my walk , half wishing I could grow a little and then get to keep my bridesmaids dress, it could be my new casual outfit, no ?

Our work done we diligently worked on cleaning up the wine and by cleaning up I mean drinking copious amounts of it.
not the smartest idea when you're a complete light weight who didn't get a dinner. I think I left my regard for consequences in my other handbag because soon I was fairly drunk
, enough that I felt comfortable ignoring the voice in my head that muttered you
Have work in the morning Laura.
so I wobbled over to the pub full of wind and not much else and as it trickled though my system the pub got spinny
And I realised that I wasn't able for this at all and took myself home. I took off my jeans and threw on some pyjamas pants and clambered into bed, hair still up and a face all made up.

If I didn't feel regret then I sure felt it this morning when I woke feeling drunk and sick and drunk. I did what I had to and washed my hair, losing the birds nest look and calculated I could comfortably get another 40 mins sleep so I threw a towel on the pillow and climbed back into bed.
I'm still working on my recovery having survived a full days work and a crossfit class but I think the lesson here
Is free wine still makes me sick and it's high time I learned alcohol is not my friend









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..