Put the damn book down.



So many people get in home from work and turn the television on and just tune out. Hands up if this sounds like you. I don't own a television but not because I'm making some sort of statement. I just couldn't afford one when I moved and I have the internet for T.v shows so I get by with a lot less than most people. You feel less inclined to have something on as background noise when you're only downloading shows you really like. I don't miss out because I also have books. Lots and lots of books and I use them to drown out the world. They are my favorite form of procrastination.

I really became aware of how much I rely on them when I was instructed to have a whole week of reading deprivation as a creativity exercise. (Long boring story involving a book called the artists way) anyway I have been following the book guidelines as diligently as though I was being marked on the assignments but my reaction to this one was not that of a grown up. At first I thought I had misread that part and maybe I was jumping to conclusions but alas I wasn't so I have one full week with no reading at all. That means no magazines, newspapers, online articles, blogs or books. Also social networking and television are to be kept to a minimum for that week.

It is only when faced with such an assignment that I realized the extent to which I use books as a crutch, as a barrier, as an excuse to not actually do anything and when I calmed down I realized that I wouldn't actually die and this might just do me some good. I've already survived two days and I thought lunch time in work would be the hardest. It's funny because I've been working on slowing down my eating, more chewing less inhaling ( for my stomach problems) and I realized that half my problem is that I always eat distractedly watching something or reading something so food gets wolfed down and I'm far too busy to even notice if I'm full.
So I'm starting to learn there can be comfort in silence, it needn't be so daunting. 

I can sit by myself in my own thoughts and the whole world won't actually fall apart. I can work in the bookshop for a whole week and not take any new books home, no matter how much it pains me and I will be better for this. I think people use reading to cut the world out, I know I do. My book is the barrier between me and everyone else. It is a valid reason to not be making conversation and some people will use papers or magazines to the same effect in a group setting and so you can sit in a room full of people and not really connect with anyone at all but no one notices.

I don't know what I'll do with all the extra time. Will I just sleep a lot more or will my week suddenly become far more productive, really only time will tell. It can only be a good thing as tomorrow I have a much awaited day off and without the lure of my laptop or book collection I will not be tempted to spend the whole day within the confines of my apartment but instead will venture out into the world and hopefully do better from it.

A whole world awaits me, as I learn to sit in silence or do things instead of watching others do them and reading books where I can get lost in other people's adventures. Perhaps it will make me reconsider how I use my time. That being said, this time next weekend don't be surprised if you find me lost in a good book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..