The storyteller - A review


The Storyteller by Jodi Piccoult.

Jodi's latest book is about a baker, Sage Singer, who is haunted by the death of her mother and hides from the world, baking at night. She strikes up a friendship with an older man from her grief group, Joseph Weber, a longstanding pillar of the community and she feels she has finally made a connection with someone until he asks her to help kill him and opens up about the terrible secrets of his past, he is not who he seems and Sage is forced to make a decision.

In some ways A lot of Jodi Piccoult's books are similar in that they involve a moral dilemma of some description and many of her older books have the hook 'what would you do if....' on the cover but while it gives a structure to her books they still lack predictability and she has a way of drawing you in. I didn't want to stop reading but things like work and my inability to keep my eyes open late at night made me draw out finishing it longer than I would have wanted. I think she has a way with words that make her books interesting and easy to follow and you can't help but feel involved in the characters lives by the end of it. Somehow she managed to take four separate stories and mesh them together until they all became entangled and I found myself want to see where each story was going next.

It's literary fiction without the heaviness and dullness that often accompanies such books. Its thought provoking and light reading at the same time. I look forward to seeing what she'll write next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..