Rage against the Health food store.

(Pictured random health food store courtesy of google images)

Prepare yourself, this is very much a rant. I was in town this morning before work and I stopped in my local health food store to buy some pukka teas. I was running dangerously low and I'm not sure how I'd manage if I ran out. But much to my surprise the prices have gone up yet again, So I bought them but I bought them angrily, In fact such was my anger I was in need of a cup of relax tea by the time I got home just to calm me down.

So I work in an okay job that pays a reasonable wage and I'm trying hard to maintain a healthy lifestyle but I'm not sure I can afford to keep this up when I'm being robbed blind by my local health food store. I have been told that they put up the prices of of the products that are known to sell the best and I strongly suspect this is the case as the mini tubs of Booja Booja and pukka teas have both gone up twice in price in the last 6 months and I don't think that can be explained away with inflation. I'm also pretty sure that the health food store back home is running the same sort of game and I feel like putting my foot down as this is getting out of hand. I know its known that those looking to buy organic or without wheat, sugar etc are usually prepared to pay a bit more. Generally speaking It's because we don't have much choice in the matter but surely it's not fair to use that as an excuse to rip us off.

Whenever I complain about this growing epidemic to people who don't tend to shop in those places they look at me like I'm mad and say well why don't you just buy that stuff in Tesco's as though it was as simple as all that. If Tesco's were selling rice pasta and Organic Almond butter, at a lower price, or at all then I'd be all over it. That's the problem really. Health food stores know that they have a monopoly on this particular corner of the market particularly in somewhere like Waterford when there isn't much in the way of competition, one smaller health food store with a limited range and holland and Barrett who shouldn't be allowed be classed as a health food store at all given the amount of sugar and crap they fill their foods with.

So what do you do ? do you go without and suffer? because trust me with my stomach if I allowed wheat and sugar and god knows what other chemicals that lurk in highly processed food, I would suffer and I wouldn't do so quietly, I'd whinge and moan like like a whingy moany thing. Yes, I make a rubbish patient so no one wants me to be unwell, are we clear. If I was going down that route though I did happen to notice that in dealz (new discount chain ) that they selling almonds by the bag for €1.49, that's there thing, everything is €1.49 and I was thinking what the hell is in those because damn that's cheap. Who's buying their food in places like that? I'm wary of it, mind you most of it is processed crap so its going to do you harm wherever you buy it so I suppose it's all the one when you look at it like that.

Or do I stage a one woman protest in my free time? Posting myself outside the shop with placards stating 'down with that sort of thing' or maybe the more feasible option is to start buying online. Which will take more planning to ensure I don't keep running out of the things I can't live without but It might be the only way to go. Rant over

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..